Thursday, June 10, 2010

I'm just a WoW G.I.R.L (Girl In Real Life)

For those of you whose heads haven’t exploded this is not news. Yet it shocks me how often young males online are completely dedicated to the concept that women playing online games is a myth, and if it isn’t a myth, that the women playing online games stick only to PvE, they suck, they always roll a healing class, and they are always glued to their boyfriend in game.

OMG Girlz Don't Exist on teh Intarwebz!!1ONE1!!

I don’t mean to be all hard core feminist, but there’s something innately irritating about an entire class of individuals sternly denying your very existence. So for the record, I love to PvP, I am as hardcore a gamer as they come, I tweak my talent builds for performance,  I push the top of the DPS meter, I speak up in raids, I like to DPS as much as I like to heal, and I am a female member of the human race.  I can play games with the best of you. If you step into a battleground against me I promise that you, my friend, will get owned by a girl.  Yes I am a female on the internet. There really are quite a few of us. 

I won’t deny that there are MANY women in Warcraft who fit that obnoxious online gamer girl stereotype – kind of sucks at the game, manipulates guys into buying her stuff in game, acts like an attention whore, creates drama wherever she goes and generally just takes advantage of all the hormonally addled twenty-something males through the simple fact that she’s verifiably female.  I’ve known girls like this. They irritate me and they irritate most other gaming women. Don’t let their delicate little Pretty Pretty Princess complex get to you. There are obnoxious classes of women just like there are obnoxious classes of men online.

The point of this is to open some eyes to the fact that the World of Warcraft is not solely comprised of white males between the ages of fourteen and thirty. It is a far more diverse online world than many white males between the ages of fourteen and thirty realize. Open your heart and mind to the possibilities, and for the love of all that is good and decent, stop defaulting to masculine pronouns for everyone’s character regardless of avatar gender. It’s annoying.

For the record I consider myself both lucky and blessed to have found a guild with some of the most amazing women I've run across in my many years of gaming.   Girls Night Out with the ladies of The Dragons is, hands down, the most fun you can have in gaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment